Saturday, July 17, 2010

Taking Pleasure in the Simple Things

I think traffic can be beautiful. Sometimes it feels like perfectly choreographed movement, seamless as cars merge together on the road. The smooth transition of lane changes and the sheer effortlessness driving radiates. Often I find myself thinking this on my morning commute - strange, i know.

The celebration of light starts on Wednesday. I love fireworks they are another of my simple pleasures. Watching them light up the sky fills me with hope, wonder and possibility. It makes Vancouver (and all of its suburbs) a community for 10-15min as they all stare up at the sky with that same look of awe on their faces. We become united under a sea of colorful moments in time. This week my sweet friend E is coming to visit from Ottawa. I haven't seen her since I moved back to the West Coast. She was the only good friend I made while over there and she was so welcoming and really made an effort to be my friend, which is so rare when people know that your stay is only temporary. I can't wait to return the favor this week - perhaps at our city's dazzling celebration of light.

I shared a compliment with my beautiful friend K the other day, that a friend of mine had mentioned. K so often underestimates the beauty she exudes from the inside out and it was so nice to share that someone else had noticed - someone who she doesn't know very well. She sent me a text a couple hours later stating that it was "amazing how a compliment could turn your day around." i was just happy i could help make her feel special even for just that day. Someone i've been interested in, asked for my number yesterday and I couldn't help but agree with K's assertion - small gestures can really make that silver lining glow.

This week I was called into a meeting with my manager and supervisor and they expressed that they wished to extend my contract with them for an additional 4 months. The recognition that i'm doing a good job through this phenomenal result is overwhelming. I appear to be a very confident person and I try my darnedest, but there's always that doubt lingering. Having that effort and hard work pay off is something that I hope happens for every person a few times in their life. This moment might not have been so simple, but it was that vocal affirmation that my contract would be extended that brought tears to my eyes and made my entire day shine brighter with thoughts of a potentially successful future.

May you all embrace the small things that make you smile to the larger ones that make your heart ache with joy.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment