Saturday, September 18, 2010

And what would Mom like?

Today i headed down to my old job at a car auction to celebrate their family fun show and shine auction with my friend M. P (who unfortunately had to work today) convinced me to go with promises of popcorn and tootsie rolls (every time i hear tootsie roll, that jingle pops into my head from when i was a kid). but M was bringing his kids down so i went to hang out with him and the munchkins and say hi to some of my old co-workers.

it's weird going back to the auction these days. i worked there for 3 years and yet i already feel like i've become an outsider. i'm the one who left. and the one who doesn't lie about how ecstatic she is with her choice to leave. but it was nice to see some people, like Fred, my most favorite auctioneer.

We got onto a rocky start him and me. When i first started at the auction, i got pulled into block clerking my second month there. a block clerk sits beside the auctioneer and keeps track of all the incoming bids in the computer system, as well as bids for the online bidders. It requires a high amount of accuracy and great reflexes in order to keep up with the auctioneer. Fred, as lovable as he is, is not a patient man when it comes to dealing with block clerks and he yelled at me a couple times when i was learning the online bidding side of the job. This resulted in me crumbling into tears because i was trying SO incredibly hard to do it perfectly. i was unable to clerk the rest of the auction because i couldn't compose myself, so my trainer took over while i tried to collect myself. Fred caught me crying and felt so terrible about the whole ordeal and since then we have been super close. he's like a father figure and so incredibly sweet.

i couldn't resist when i saw him and i ran up to the block to give him a hug. he actually stopped the auction to say hi and hug me back. Good to know i can still stop an auction ;)

they had a lot of fun activities for the kids which was great because M's little boy is about 6 and his daughter and her friend are 9. While we were waiting to get our balloon creations i was joking with the kids and watching the man make one of the girls a killer whale. When the balloon man made a comment about "mom and dad" needing balloons too. i didn't really catch what he meant and so ignored it. Then later the balloon man made another comment to me referring to me as "Mom." i just laughed and didn't bother correcting him. M thought it was hilarious and kept calling me Mom. Then we went inside to get the kids' faces painted and the face painting lady decided to ask "Mom" for permission to do a scary face on little Joel. At this point M's daughter came up to me and whispered "She thinks you're our mom!" haha.

i definitely didn't think i would be waking up a mother this morning but it was pretty nice to be called that i must admit- although the logistics of those pregnancies would be a little complicated considering my age haha. i got the warm and fuzzies with it and it's nice to know that i look like i fit the role. my friends joke that i have the mommy purse with everything a mom would need - P calls it the Mary Poppins purse because the contents can be so surprising. i definitely want kids someday and it just felt really good to be mistaken for their mom, which is something that has never happened before. maybe i am growing up a little bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~

On the dark and twisty front, i'm doing much better. my dark and twistiness was felt by the new boy as well and through misunderstandings on both sides, we had mutually convinced ourselves the other wasn't interested which climaxed in some angry and hurt moments. i do think that i often give up too soon and i am making a valiant effort to try with this one because i feel like E and i have a connection i haven't felt with anyone else. maybe with some better communication on both of our parts, dark and twisty moments will stay away. If not, at least i will know that i have actually tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment