Tuesday, May 11, 2010

She hit the flo'

Since the new job is downtown i've started taking the skytrain to work every day. People on the skytrain are interesting. You have the ones who are absorbed in their copy of the 24 Hours, the ones who sleep, the ones who stare at you and you're not quite sure what they're about to do and the ones who listen to their ipods and zone out until their stop arrives. I'm fascinated by the ipod listeners.

I am also a fellow ipod listener. However, i rarely zone out. i'm always watching others with their headphones on because i have this pressing desire to know what people are listening to.

it takes a lot of concentration, i'm talking extreme, for me to act like a normal passive human being when listening to music. i'm one of those people who sings along to every song i know the words to, regardless of where i am. I BELT out musicals in my car. The Wicked soundtrack is my favorite right now, although lately my rendition of Good Morning Baltimore from Hairspray is knocking out my version of Defying Gravity) I even serenaded my co-workers at my old job. It's so freeing.

....now i could do this on the skytrain but then i would be THAT person, you know the one who everyone avoids and prays they won't catch eyes with.

now i'm starting to get pretty good at just enjoying the music in my head but when a really good song comes on sometimes i find myself smiling to myself or closing my eyes to really sink in the moment.....or mouthing the words....or....dare i say it....dancing a little.

now i'm not full out busting a move or anything but i've been caught bobbing, hip swaying - usually i'm carrying stuff so that prevents the arms from getting away from me.

but lately i've had the urge to do more.

P and I have been taking pole dancing lessons since the beginning of March. I've finally learned enough moves that I can put together a routine of my own if i actually had my own pole to practice on (they are surprisingly expensive!). Yesterday Whatever You Like by Nicole Sherzinger came onto the ipod and I was suddenly struck with urge to whip out some traveling hip circles, body wave, diamond spin, backwards spin, squat and kick all over that skytrain car.

i decided against it since the poles on the new Canada line have all these other poles coming off of the centre pole in order to present more places for people to hang on. I definitely have not learned how to backwards fireman spin around that.

This morning it happened again. i was struck with that same urge, that compulsion, to break out some moves. It was so silent on the train and suddenly we hit King Edward and this space opened up on the floor. I tried to imagine how people would react if i shook my tail featherright across the car. would they gawk in awe? in horror? would they ignore me as i do when someone creeps me out on the skytrain? would they just be praying that i didn't try to get them to dance with me (that's what i would be doing, strange people always want to talk to me or involve me in what they are doing, i think it's the red hair - it attracts the most interesting people)?

OR maybe, just maybe they too would wonder what song is playing on my ipod and someone might even be inspired to let their music loving soul out and dance like no one is watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment